Monday 5 November 2012

Day 3: Bring lunch to work

http://justbento.com/files/bento/images/bento_79_500.jpg

Do you always eat out during work? What do you always eat? Is there always more brown then greens on your plate? After lunch, do you feel sluggish and have no energy to work? If so, you need to change what you are eating during lunch. 

For me, my lunch is usually brought from home. I am one of the lucky few that my mom still cooks for me so that I can bring nutritious food to work. Bringing food from home instead of eating out has a lot more benefits than you can imagine. 

  1. Change of menu everyday instead of looking at boring food which you will get bored of after 3 months eating at the same place. 
  2. Do not have to go out and buy food when you are very busy during work and have to work even during lunch time. 
  3. You can choose what you want to be place inside your meals instead of eating outside where you do  not know what they may put in your food. 
  4. Cooking is therapeutic.
  5. Save money $$. 
Some people may think that bringing lunch to work is very troublesome and a lot of work has to be done. However, once you get the hang of it (get super awesome in cooking), you would not want to buy lunch outside anymore. 

Some suitable lunches to bring to work are:
  1. Sandwiches
    They are super easy to make and I LOVE bread. Sometimes I will make them myself when my mom do not feel like cooking lunch for me. You can put anything you want in there, like ham, boiled chicken, cheese, tomatoes, cucumbers, etc. I like the combination of tuna-in-water mixed with mustard and lemon juice and topped with vegetables of my choice. You can change the flavor of sandwiches by changing the type of bread and the sauce you use. The healthier sauces are usually mustard and tomato salsa. But note that these sauces may cause the bread to be soggy so remember to pack them separately and combine them together when needed. 
  2. Pasta
    For pasta, remember to pack the sauce and the pasta noodle separately as well to prevent it from being too soggy. Same as the sandwiches, you can put whatever ingredients you like into the pasta. What is different is that this requires a bit of cooking which can be done the night before. 
  3. Rice with a side dish
    This is just like pasta. You can just substitute pasta for rice. Preferred rice is of course the brown rice because it will not cause your sugar level to spike and cause you to be sleepy after lunch. Although my family does not use brown rice, white rice work just as well. Just make sure you have the same quantity of protein and lots of vegetables to go with it.
    Or you can go for pumpkin rice (which I am having it today=)) that can be easily cooked inside a normal rice cooker. Pumpkin will keep your sugar level constant and to keep your hunger pangs at bay. It also contains high levels of Vitamin A and fiber which makes it a very good food for people on diet. 
  4. Salads
    I know there is quite a number of people who will bring salads to work for lunch. However, I do not recommend it. I feel that there is not enough satisfaction and energy in a meal of purely vegetables or at most with a serving of protein. However, if your work do not require that much of energy, perhaps a salad will be a good choice. Remember to pack your dressing separately as well. 
So this is all, I am going to eat my lunch soon. Let me know what are your favorite lunch choices to bring to work.

Bye!
|ser|

No comments:

Post a Comment